Registering Classic Cars and the V765 Process

Whenever you buy, build, restore or import a car, you must register it with the DVLA. If you are buying a new car the dealership will usually take care of this for you. You will get a V5C registration certificate, commonly known as the Log Book through the post within six weeks, the same as if buying a modern, post 1983 car second hand. However if you are restoring, importing or building a car what are your options?

New registrations

If your car is new and has been imported or built from scratch you will need to complete DVLA form V55/4 to register it, you will need to provide proof of the age of the vehicle, the foreign registration document will usually be sufficient.

If you have imported an older vehicle or wish to register an older vehicle that was never registered you should complete form V55/5. Again you will need to provide evidence of the age of your vehicle, An original log book, tax disks or details of build date from the manufacturer call all be used, where this is available (Many manufacturers don't have historical records going back far) the DVLA authorises certain Car Owners Clubs to authenticate the age of a vehicle.

When registering you will need to provide proof of your identity, usually your photocard driving licence, and proof of address, usually a utility bill or bank statement. You will also need to provide payment to tax the vehicle (if not exempt), the registration fee (Currently £55) and current MOT and Insurance Certificates. The DVLA may ask for more details to confirm the age.

You can download these form from the DVLA’s form ordering service.

After you’ve applied

The DVLA may ask to inspect your vehicle. If your application is approved, They will send you the V5C registration (sometimes called a log book) for the vehicle.

If you’ve not had a response after 6 weeks you should contact the DVLA. Don’t wait longer than 3 months or DVLA won’t investigate.

Requesting the reissue of your vehicle’s original registration number

You may be able to register an old vehicle under its original registration number under the V765 Scheme.

The V765 scheme allows you to request the DVLA re-issue a registration which expired with the computerisation of records in 1983. Your vehicle may qualify if:

  • It was exported before 1983 and has been reimported.
  • Your vehicle has been registered under a private or age related registration number
  • Your vehicle's was out of use when computerization happened and therefore not registered at the DVLA

You will need to provide evidence linking the vehicle to the number plate, fill in form V765 - ‘Application to register a vehicle under its original registration number’ and include a recent photograph of the vehicle. You will need the form endorsed by an approved vehicle owners club.

After you’ve applied

If your application is approved the DVLA will issue your vehicle a V5C registration certificate and supply either

  • the original registration number, or,
  • another number appropriate to the age of the vehicle.